The Mets completed their offseason bullpen makeover on Thursday, agreeing to terms with right-hander Brandon Lyon on a one-year contract, according to a source. The team has yet to announce the deal, which is pending a physical.
Lyon, 33, posted a 3.10 ERA in 67 appearances split between the Astros and Blue Jays last season, striking out 63 and walking 20 in 61 innings. He was the primary closer for the D-backs in 2008 and the Astros from 2010-11, before surgery to his right shoulder and biceps tendon derailed his career in '11.
With the Mets, Lyon figures to slide into a setup role alongside Bobby Parnell, though he could also step in as at least a part-time closer. Manager Terry Collins told the New York Post on Wednesday that the ninth-inning job still belongs to Frank Francisco, but general manager Sandy Alderson was not nearly so strong in his words earlier this week.
"I think a lot will depend on what we see over the course of February and March," the GM said.
Alderson also said that he is done adding roster pieces after Lyon, with the possible exception of free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn. That deal is unlikely to come to fruition unless Major League Baseball rules that the Mets could keep their 2013 first-round Draft pick, which they would currently have to forfeit in order to sign Bourn.
Read more: Mets agree to terms on one-year deal with veteran righty reliever Brandon Lyon | MLB.com: News