The Yankees have made a "significant offer" to Robinson Cano, according to general manager Brian Cashman, who is hoping to lock the All-Star second baseman into a contract extension before he reaches free agency.
Cashman confirmed on Thursday that an offer has been presented to Cano and agent Scott Boras. There have been negotiations between the two sides in recent weeks, but Cashman declined to comment further on the state of the talks.
"Robinson is focused on preparing for and playing the 2013 season,'' Boras told CBS Sports' Jon Heyman. "By agreement, discussions shall remain confidential. Also by agreement, discussions will cease if they are a distraction to Robinson's performance and leadership of the 2013 Yankees.''
Earlier this month, managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner had said the team was "willing to consider a significant long-term contract" to keep Cano in pinstripes, but Steinbrenner did not publicly acknowledge an actual offer had been made.
Read more: Yankees make 'significant offer' to Robinson Cano | MLB.com: News