Speaking publicly for the first time since he was suspended in July, Ryan Braun on Wednesday lamented the "huge mistake" that led to his 65-game ban, and said he'd made amends with the sample collector whose character he impugned 19 months ago.
Braun did not provide any additional details about his specific violations of Major League Baseball's drug policy, which led to his suspension, but his mere appearance in Milwaukee, bundled up for a food drive outside Miller Park on the day before Thanksgiving, represented the latest step in what Braun himself says will be a long, difficult bid to repair his reputation.
"I wish I had the ability to go back and change things and do things a lot differently," he said. "Unfortunately, I can't do that. All I can do is move on, try to do everything in my power to earn people's trust and respect and support. I don't anticipate winning back everybody's support, but I certainly intend to do everything in my power to do that.
"I won't stop trying."
Before he faced a bank of microphones on Wednesday, most of Braun's efforts had been of a smaller scale. In August, he apologized over the phone to Brewers coaches and teammates and sent letters to a variety of baseball officials, including Commissioner Bud Selig. In September, Braun personally called some Brewers season-ticket holders to apologize, and visited the AIDS Resource Center of Wisconsin, one of the nonprofits with which he had worked extensively.
Read more: Brewers' Ryan Braun speaks publicly for first time since suspension | MLB.com: News