Astros pursue Hunter, Rowand - Page 5 - Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
162
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStrosFan
I thought Luke started in RF this year and Palmeiro has mostly been a pinch-hitter?
I couldn't remember if it was Scott or Lane that started off the year so I mentioned either/or on the back up for the outfield. Didn't Lane eventually get sent down and then at some point they platooned a bit out there? Lane even started in center for a bit.

I guess you are right with Palmeiro predominantly pinch hitting and not really starting too many games as a 4th outfielder. I usually clump all of the guys coming off of the bench (part time, bench, pinch hit and so on. I really root for those types of players. They don't get enough credit) into one unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStrosFan
Burke was stinking in both offense and CF defense and he was sent down. That's when Pence was brought up. That's why Burke hasn't seen much playing time. Lucky for us, Pence had his CF job and Biggio had his 2B job.
You're right, I completely forgot! Burke got sent down after his stint out there. Berkman threw a hissy fit over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStrosFan
But you bring up a good point about the lack of dependable backups. Who will be Burke's backup? And who'll backup the outfield? Luke was not a very productive pinch hitter this year. That's why I'm worried he'll be riding the bench. It's not just because I want to see his booty from Sec. 153. It's more because I fear we won't be able to count on him for offense.
Right now it seems our only lock on a backup player is Bruntlett. Everyone else is a FA or was dealt last season. Lamb/Loretta/Ensberg - Lane/Palmeiro
162 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,260
                     
I am completely at a loss here -- we did get way off track. and I was talking about his batting stance, BTW. I say keep Lamb and Loretta. Luke too. Everyone else can go.
Beth is offline  
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:23 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth
I am completely at a loss here -- we did get way off track. and I was talking about his batting stance, BTW.
My bad... THIS is what you meant:

zhollywood is offline  
 
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 162
I couldn't remember if it was Scott or Lane that started off the year so I mentioned either/or on the back up for the outfield. Didn't Lane eventually get sent down and then at some point they platooned a bit out there? Lane even started in center for a bit.
Luke started in right, Burke started in center. Pence came up, Burke went down. Pence was injured, Lane came up to take center. Burke came back and it was a platoon in center with Lane/Burke and right with Scott/Burke. Infield platoon was Lo/Lambo. Palmeiro was primarily off the bench, though saw one or two spots in the outfield. Brunt was sent down, then brought back as a late inning replacement for defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 162
Right now it seems our only lock on a backup player is Bruntlett. Everyone else is a FA or was dealt last season. Lamb/Loretta/Ensberg - Lane/Palmeiro
Interesting that I recall Brunt making an awesome, over-the-wall catch to save a homerun when he played CF and yet, it seems management still doesn't appreciate his athleticism. I mean, how many utility men out there can play ANY position you put them in? Everyone else we have is good for either IF or OF, but not both... no, I'm sorry Burke is NOT good for OF... and not much good for IF either, IMHO.
zhollywood is offline  
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 PM
162
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhollywood
Luke started in right, Burke started in center. Pence came up, Burke went down. Pence was injured, Lane came up to take center. Burke came back and it was a platoon in center with Lane/Burke and right with Scott/Burke. Infield platoon was Lo/Lambo. Palmeiro was primarily off the bench, though saw one or two spots in the outfield. Brunt was sent down, then brought back as a late inning replacement for defense.
That deserves a golf clap, Z! Nicely done.

If I remember correctly Bruntlett didn't even make the team out of ST because of the acquisition of Loretta. No room for an extra bench type on the roster (even though they talked about going one less pitcher to make room for him).


Quote:
Originally Posted by zhollywood
Interesting that I recall Brunt making an awesome, over-the-wall catch to save a homerun when he played CF and yet, it seems management still doesn't appreciate his athleticism. I mean, how many utility men out there can play ANY position you put them in? Everyone else we have is good for either IF or OF, but not both... no, I'm sorry Burke is NOT good for OF... and not much good for IF either, IMHO.
Exactly. I've always been high on Bruntlett. The dude can do anything you ask of him. That's why they call him Superman. It would be nice to see him hit for some better average though. Was that catch in Florida? I think I remember him having a good game versus the Marlins in which he made a great play in the outfield and I believe knocked in a go-ahead run (double) right before the game was temporarily called because of rain.

Sounds like you guys aren't too high on Burke. He certainly hasn't lived up to his 10th overall pick expectations. I pose this question to you all. Are the Astros failing Burke or is Burke failing the Astros?
162 is offline  
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 162
That deserves a golf clap, Z! Nicely done.
TY, TY. And yes, you're right, they sent Brunt down out of ST and he cleared waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 162
Sounds like you guys aren't too high on Burke. He certainly hasn't lived up to his 10th overall pick expectations. I pose this question to you all. Are the Astros failing Burke or is Burke failing the Astros?
No, we're not too high on Burke BECAUSE he hasn't lived up to expectations. I'm sorry he was "stuck" behind Biggio for all these years, but every time he does play, I'm just not seeing anything that makes me go, "Oh yeah, he can play every day." He hit a memorable homerun that will forever be held close to our hearts, but other than that, nada.

I think Burke is failing the Astros. If he was that good, it wouldn't matter if he played on the major league team or the minor league team. He didn't fare any better in Round Rock. Even Lane hits really well in AAA.

The Astros might have failed him over all these years... they keep saying how good he is... I guess he believes it too.
zhollywood is offline  
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 162
Sounds like you guys aren't too high on Burke. He certainly hasn't lived up to his 10th overall pick expectations. I pose this question to you all. Are the Astros failing Burke or is Burke failing the Astros?
Did you see the game where he made some boneheaded play at 2nd base and the crowd started chanting, "B-G-O! B-G-O!" If I remember correctly, it was the infamous, never-ending 1/3rd of the FIRST inning that Jennings couldn't get out of until he was pulled after he gave up the 11th run game. I don't think there are very many fans behind Burke for the everyday job.
zhollywood is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome