Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums - View Single Post - Cabrera powers Marlins past Brewers
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Justin

Cabrera powers Marlins past Brewers

Quote:
MIAMI -- All kinds of streaks are alive for the Marlins.

Miguel Cabrera belted a two-run homer and drove in three, and rookie Henry Owens closed out the ninth for his first MLB save, as the Marlins beat the Brewers, 5-3, Monday night at Dolphin Stadium.

Dating back to last year, the Marlins have now beaten the Brewers nine straight times, matching the longest active string of wins over an opponent. Other teams riding nine-game streaks are the Cardinals over the Dodgers and the White Sox over the Reds.

Milwaukee last beat Florida, 6-4, on Aug. 24, 2005.

"It's just baseball," manager Fredi Gonzalez said of the Marlins' success against Milwaukee. "I'm sure if you looked into the archives somewhere, we've lost nine to somebody else."

Florida has now won three straight overall, and Cabrera, named National League Player of the Week on Monday, and Alejandro De Aza have each hit in seven straight games.

Batting an even .500, Cabrera is on a tear, with four doubles, three home runs, 11 RBIs and eight runs scored.

"I'm very happy to be Player of the Week," Cabrera said. "I hope I can keep it up, not only this week, but for the whole season. I hope to get better every day. For me, all the players are doing great, the hitters and the pitchers."
The Official Site of the Florida Marlins: Florida Marlins' News

Slugger clubs third home run of the season

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome