Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums - View Single Post - does anyone else like going to the minors over th majors
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Dizzy Dean 17
Little Leaguer

Going to a Rangers or Astros game here is OK, but I prefer going to the Round Rock Express (Rangers' AAA)! The cost is by far the better deal, and the players have to walk right past the fans in LF to get down to the field. Many stop to chat and sign autographs. Or MGR Jones and coach Spike Owen are great to shoot the breeze with. You never get that kind of face time at an MLB park. I have been to dozens of MLB games in St. Louis (Old Busch), Cleveland (the Jake), Minneapolis (Metrodome, or giant inflated toilet as one local sports guy called it), Arlington (The Ball Park), and Houston (Minute Maid Park), but I really like the MiLB environment better. Nothing against the level of play at the big league level, just like the minors better.

I go to a lot of Express games, and when I lived in Ames, IA I used to get tickets through my Little League to go to Des Moines and see the Iowa Cubs play back in the late 80s and early 90s. As a Cards fan, I won't say I was a huge fan, but I do like the I-Cubs! Just not when they get called up! But my favorite guy down there was Mark Grace, who went on to have a great career in Chicago and Phoenix.

In Round Rock, they have half priced Tuesdays this summer, where I can get $7 tickets to sit right next to the visitor's dugout down the first base line! So I go to see Memphis, Des Moines, Albuquerque and New Orleans (buddy from there, we ride out motorcycles down - free parking for bikes right up front too!). On Tuesdays, they are wearing the old 1959 uniforms of the Austin Senators, the Texas League champs of that year. That is awesome as well! I have seen so many major league players either before they were called up, or while down on rehab, or just on their way back down the chain. It is too fun!

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome