Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums - View Single Post - Your Favorite Season?
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Dizzy Dean 17
Little Leaguer

I would probably go with the 1987 season, right off the bat. That was the year I really fell in love with baseball! I was 11 years old, and really started collecting baseball cards seriously, played my first season of Little League, and played at home from dawn to dusk! My favorite team is the Cardinals, and Whitey Herzog had another great team that year, though they fell short in the World Series (losing in 7 Games, just like in 1985). Injuries derailed Whitey's Runnin' Redbirds from a second World Championship in the 1980s (won it all in 1982, lost in 1985, only team that decade to go to 3 World Series).

The first half of the '87 season saw a ridiculous amount of HRs hit! It was like watching funny-ball rather than baseball! Many players of that era had their career high in HRs in 1987, even established power men like Jack Clark, Dale Murphy, etc. The Cardinals' Jack "The Ripper" Clark and the Wizard of Oz, Ozzie Smith, split the MVP vote on the team between them. In a horrible decision, Andre Dawson of the last place Cubs won it, but Jack or Ozzie certainly should have gotten the MVP.

Dawson led the NL with 49 HRs, rookie Mark McGwire (in the enormous Oakland Coliseum even) led the AL with 49 and AL MVP George Bell had 47. Most of the HRs hit, however, were hit in the first half of the season. And, even with all that potent offense in the first half of 1987, the All Star Game in Oakland was a 2-0 extra inning NL win! No HRs! The Expos Tim Raines (the MVP of the game and went 3-3 at the plate) tripled in two runners in the 12th or 13th inning to win it. Crazy, my friends and I all expected a big scoring affair!

That is my first impression, and just a little about the season that I remembered off the top of my head. Of course, I will never forget the 2006 postseason! That was 24 years after the last time I saw my Cardinals win a World Series, but even that feeling pales in comparison to the 2011 World Series, especially Game 6!!!

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome